Archive for July 2010
The following is a brief summary of the Republican Party’s approach to government; it is incontrovertible:
- Attack the government.
- Use the manufactured disdain (along with dirty tricks, social wedge issues and massive amounts of cash) to get elected.
- Hollow out government institutions (after all, government sucks, right? They’re doing society a favor. Thank them…hell…you should hug a Republican today because of this. No?).
- Privatize the former government function.
- Private company sells the service back to the government at an exorbitant price.
- Republicans blame Democrats for budget deficits and attack government as wasteful and ineffecient.
- And the cycle repeats.
Yes, the above is so. And it routinely happens right under our noses. This morning a report from New Jersey Gov. Christie reveals some of his massive privatization goals:
New Jersey would close its centralized car inspection lanes and motorists would pay for their own emissions tests under a sweeping set of recommendations set to be released by the Christie administration today.
State parks, psychiatric hospitals and even turnpike toll booths could also be run by private operators, according to the 57-page report on privatization obtained by The Star-Ledger. Preschool classrooms would no longer be built at public expense, state employees would pay for parking and private vendors would dish out food, deliver health care and run education programs behind prison walls.
But, hey…what do we care? It’s only our society, right?
Thanks to @existentialfish for the assist with this post.